ss_blog_claim=a92da441765f4a1d874a8747bc99ece7
One woman's plight in technical support.

Current News

Friday, April 06, 2007

The Drive-Thru is OPEN

Hi Welcome to tech support. Can I take your order?

Ok, so I work with mail security software, and yesterday a gentleman called me to ask for help setting it up to send the filtered spam to the end-users. Now that in-and-of itself is fine. I walked him through this process and also explained how it works. The end of which is that the email goes to the end-users' JunkMail folder which is natively created with Exchange 2003/Outlook 2003.

The problem came in when he asked me why he didn't have a JunkMail folder. I explained to him very carefully that I support the mail software, not his Outlook or Exchange. That goes through Microsoft. I recommended that he give them a call to get that information.

He subsequently asked to speak to my supervisor because I couldn't help him with this 3rd party issue. He stated that Microsoft charges for support, and because our software interacts with his Email system, we should know how to do this simple thing.


This whole situation is akin to someone going through the drive-through at TacoHell and asking for a Whopper because their local BK doesn't have a drive-through.


I understand that it may be more difficult to go through that other restaurant to get your burger, because you have to get out of your car and all that, but I don't serve Whoppers here. Just because I make fast food doesn't mean I can make you a Whopper. Comprende Muchacho?




Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

If you have tech horror stories you'd like to share I'd love to hear them! If I really really like it, I'll even blog about it. So let's hear it, what do your dumb customers do?

posted by Reine at 12:11 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home